J., White, N., and Van der Veer, E., “Development of improved
caprock integrity analysis and risk assessment techniques,”
Energy Procedia, Vol. 63, 2014, pp. 4708-4744.
13. Evans, D.J., “A review of underground fuel storage
events and putting risk into perspective with other areas of
the energy supply chain,” Underground gas storage: Worldwide experiences and future development in the UK and
Europe, editors Evans, D.J. and Chadwick, R.A., Geological
Society, London, 2009, pp. 173-216.
14. Kron, N.D. and Malone, D.H., “Three-dimensional
geologic model of the Pecatonica gas storage field, Winnebago County, Illinois,” World Journal of Environmental Engineering, Vol., 3, No. 4, 2015, pp. 121-125.
15. International Association of Oil and Gas Producers,
“Asset integrity: the key to managing major incident risks,”
Report Number 415, December 2008.
Richard A. Schultz ( email@example.com) is
senior research scientist in petroleum and
geosystems engineering at The University of
Texas at Austin and principal and owner of
Orion Geomechanics, Houston. He holds a
PhD in geomechanics from Purdue University,
an MS in geology from Arizona State University, and a BA in geology from Rutgers University. He is a Fellow
of the Geological Society of America, a member of the Interstate
Oil and Gas Compact Commission, and a licensed professional
geologist in the State of Texas.
Donnie Vereide ( Donnie.firstname.lastname@example.org) is vice president, business development with Geostock Sandia LLC, Houston. He
holds an MBA from the University of Phoenix
and a BS in petroleum engineering from Texas
the regulations as critically important. These reliability ele-
• Data management and action plans for both risk man-
agement and emergency response.
• Exposure, including proximity to infrastructure and
previous blowout events at the site.
• Reservoir and cavern integrity, including adequate top
and side seals for pressure integrity.
• Area-of-review monitoring, including surface methane, observation wells, and induced seismicity.
• Operations, including management of change and
training of operational personnel.
1. US Department of Transportation, Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, “Pipeline Safety: Safety
of Underground Natural Gas Storage Facilities,” Interim Final
Rule, Docket No. PHMSA-2016-0016, Federal Register, Vol.
81, No. 243, Dec. 19, 2016, p. 91860-91873.
2. StatesFirst, “Underground Gas Storage Regulatory Considerations,” Interstate Oil and Gas Compact Commission and
Ground Water Protection Council, 2017.
3. “Protecting Our Infrastructure of Pipelines and Enhancing Safety (PIPES) Act of 2016,” Public Law 114-183, 114th
US Congress, June 22, 2016.
4. American Petroleum Institute, “Design and Operation of
Solution-mined Salt Caverns Used for Natural Gas Storage,”
API Recommended Practice 1170, July 2015.
5. American Petroleum Institute, “Functional Integrity of
Natural Gas Storage in Depleted and Aquifer Reservoirs,” API
Recommended Practice 1171, September 2015.
6. Joint Industry Task Force (American Petroleum Institute, American Gas Association, and Interstate Natural Gas
Association of America), “Underground Natural Gas Storage:
Integrity and Safe Operations,” July 2016.
7. U.S. Department of Energy, “Ensuring Safe and Reliable
Underground Natural Gas Storage: Final Report of the Interagency Task Force on Natural Gas Storage Safety,” October
8. California Division of Oil, Gas, and Geothermal Resources (DOGGR), “Requirements of Comprehensive Safety
Review of the Aliso Canyon Natural Gas Storage Facility,” Jan.
9. DOGGR, “Chapter 4. Development, Regulation, and
Conservation of Oil and Gas Resources,” Aug. 1, 2016.
10. Katz, D.L. and Tek, M.R., “Overview on underground
storage of natural gas,” Journal of Petroleum Technology, Vol.
33, No. 6, June 1981, pp. 943-951.
11. Chen, M., Buscheck, T.A., Wagoner, J.L., Sun, Y.,
White, J.A., Chiaramonte, L., and Aines, R.D., “Analysis of
fault leakage from Leroy underground natural gas storage
facility, Wyoming, USA,” Hydrogeology Journal, Vol. 21, No. 7,
2013, pp. 1429-1445.
12. Bruno, M.S., Lao, K., Diessl, J., Childers, B., Xiang,